Before you connect your QuickBooks Online account with Shopify, you need to set up the required sales tax settings from your QuickBooks Online dashboard.
NOTE: The Shopify QuickBooks Online app requires that you enable taxes and choose a tax or tax agency in QuickBooks Online, even if you are not actively charging tax through your Shopify store.
To set up the required tax settings in QuickBooks Online:
- From your QuickBooks Online dashboard, click Sales Tax.
- Click Edit sales tax settings.
- In the Do you charge sales tax? section, click Yes:
- Click Save.
- If your QuickBooks Online account is registered in the U.S., then you can now go ahead and set up the QuickBooks Online app in Shopify.
- If your QuickBooks Online account is registered in Canada, Australia, or the United Kingdom, then you might need to add a tax rate manually. From the Sales Tax page in your QuickBooks Online dashboard, click Add/edit tax rates and agencies:
- Click New.
- From the New Sales Tax Rate dialog, create a new tax, then click Save:
- Continue to set up the QuickBooks Online app in Shopify.