Custom Pricing can control product pricing in two different ways:
- Variant Dependant Method
- Draft Order Method (Standard)
Each method has benefits and limitations; you can decide which one will work better for your Business.
Select each heading below for more information on the discounting methods:
With this method, Custom Pricing creates a duplicate variant of each original for each customer level/tag in that product. Those duplicate variants are an exact copy of the ones that already exist but have the discounted price you applied.
- Discount codes can still be used in the checkout.
- Storefront price displays more quickly.
- Allows checkouts directly from the cart page with third-party payment gateways (i.e. PayPal and Amazon).
- Compatible with Bold Subscriptions.
- Unable to hide discounts reliably from other apps (i.e. social media and other third-party Shopify apps).
- Too many variants can become cumbersome for some stores to manage.
- Limited by Shopify's 100 variant per product limit.
- Wait time to keep discounts in sync with latest store prices.
- Not compatible with inventory management apps (an exception to this is StitchLabs). This is because they see the variants created by the app as individual product listings.
- If you use discount codes, they can stack on the existing Custom Pricing discount which may result in double discounting.
- Sometimes allows customers to purchase out of stock items.
With this method, a draft order is created with the discounts and processed when the user selects the checkout button.
- No variants are created.
- No need to pause the app when importing or editing products in the Shopify admin.
- Faster syncing to keep discounts in sync with latest store prices.
- More compatible with inventory management apps.
- Follows Shopify's out of stock rules.
- Products don’t have tagging information appended to the Product name.
- Third-party checkout buttons (i.e. Amazon, Apple, PayPal) should be hidden on the cart page and visible in the checkout.
- Draft orders remain in your Shopify admin after a customer has checked out.
- You cannot use Shopify discount codes at all (this may be a benefit, depending on your business).
- Not compatible with Subscriptions.