PayPal Commerce Platform (PPCP) gives you the ability to accept payments in multiple currencies around the world. Customers can pay via credit or debit cards, local payment methods, PayPal wallet, or other alternative payment options such as Apple Pay.
PPCP features a unique Smart Button. This gives your customers the option to use either PayPal, Venmo, or Pay Later, as well as all major credit and debit cards on almost any device.
European merchants can maintain compliance with the SCA directive by enabling 3D Secure.
PPCP is advancing rapidly. With new features on the horizon such as integration with Google Pay and more, this platform warrants top consideration.
Pro-Tip: Bold Checkout is available to use for free when connected to either the PayPal Commerce Platform or Braintree payment gateways.
This article outlines the availability, connection steps, and testing instructions for PPCP.
PayPal Commerce Platform is available in all countries supported by PayPal. For a full list, please refer to PayPal’s documentation.
The Smart Buttons that are available for your store will depend on your location. For example, Venmo is only offered in the US, and Pay Later has varying options per available location. For more information, please refer to the chart in PayPal's documentation.
- Within Bold Checkout, navigate to Payment options > Payment gateways.
- In the Connect a payment gateway section, expand the Alternative payment gateway menu.
- Click Connect next to PayPal Commerce Platform and log into your PayPal business account.
- After successfully logging in, click Go back to Bold Innovation Group Ltd.
- Click PayPal Commerce Platform again to enter the settings.
- Select your currency and available payment types.
Note: If you select a payment type that is not available to your region, the options for that location will not appear on your storefront.
- Optional: Choose your button shape and color.
- Optional: Enable 3D Secure card payments.
Connect Apple Pay
To connect Apple Pay please follow the steps below.
1. Select Apple Pay when connecting PPCP to Bold Checkout.
When connecting to PPCP as shown in the steps above, select Apple Pay in step 5. Select your currency and available payment types.
2. Register your domain with PayPal.
It's required to register your domain within your PayPal account in order to enable Apple Pay. To do this, please follow the steps below.
- Log into your PayPal account.
- Navigate to Account Settings.
- Select Payment methods from the bottom left-hand menu.
- Select Get Started next to Apply Pay.
- Add your website and select Register Domain.
Note: The value you enter must match your fully qualified domain name exactly–including the www. if applicable.
3. Submit a Support Request to Bold
After your registration steps from above are complete, please submit a support ticket to our Customer Success team with a request to complete the domain registration with Apple. The team will reach back out to let you know when this is complete.
This request needs to be submitted within 10 hours of enabling PPCP in Bold Checkout. If the request is not submitted within the 10 hour window, you will need to disable then re-enable Apple Pay within the PPCP edit settings. To do this, please navigate to Payment Options > Payment Gateways within Bold Checkout, and select Edit Credentials for the PayPal Commerce Platform.
You can enable 3D Secure in PPCP to maintain compliance with the SCA directive. The SCA directive applies to merchants within Euroupe.
To set up SCA within Bold Checkout, please follow the steps below.
- Within Bold Checkout, select PayPal Commerce Platform to enter the settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the window and check the Use 3D Secure card payments option.
To verify and approve the PPCP solution, you can use sandbox credentials to run test transactions in your staging environments.
To set up your own virtual testing environment, please follow the PayPal sandbox testing guide.