Store Locator requires a Google Maps API Key in order to function. This API Key can be found within your Google account, once a project is created and billing is enabled.
The Google Maps API Key is required, so the Store Locator app can make requests to Google for things like address lookups.
For a more detailed step-by-step on setting up your Google Platforms, please visit Google's Get Started with Google Maps Project article.
To create the API Key, you will need a google account:
- If you have a Gmail email address, you have a google account.
- If you need a google account, please visit Google Account Signup.
To create an API key and add it to Store Locator, please follow these steps:
- Log into the Google Maps Platform Console.
- Select Get Started.
- Select Maps.
- Enter a New Project Name.
From here, please follow the next steps below to complete this setup:
To use Google Maps Platform, you must have a billing account. The billing account is used to track costs associated with your projects. For more information on billing credits, please see Google's article on Billing Account Credits.
Google provides $300 to spend on Google Cloud Platform over the next 12 months. A customer will not be auto charged after the trial ends.
To create a billing account, please follow these steps:
- Go to the Google Cloud Platform Console.
- Click the menu button and select Billing.
- Set up your billing account.
- If this is your first billing account, select Add billing account.
- If you already have a billing account, select Manage billing accounts.
To ensure that your billing account has been setup correctly, please check under the Payment Methods tab to ensure that your credit card is valid and reflecting on the account.
Once all of the correct information has been input into the Google Maps Platform, the status should reflect as active.
This section will allow you to select the API's within the Google Platform Project will allow Store Locator to work with your locations.
Check to ensure that the following APIs are enabled:
Maps Embed API
Maps SDK for Android
Maps SDK for iOS
Maps Static API
Street View Static API
To review this area, please follow these steps:
- Select the option for Google Maps Platform.
- Select APIs.
- Select the list of APIs above.
To locate your Google API key, please follow these steps:
- Select the menu button, then navigate to APIs and services.
- Select Credentials.
- Select Create Credentials, then select API Key.
- Add this API Key to the Store Locator app, under Need Help? > Google Maps API Key.
- Select Save.