The Bold Subscriptions "Cancellation Management" feature will help you retain customers and provide options that will keep your customers subscribed and satisfied.
This feature is available from the "Manage Subscription" page when a customer is logged in. It's important to provide a link in your navigation so a customer can easily get to this area.
Visit Manage Subscription Page Link Setup for detailed instructions.
You can find this feature under Settings -> Cancellation, in the Subscriptions admin.
We provide four options, and you can choose only one.
Every option has some unique offerings or capabilities:
- Cancel their subscription - If you select this option, a customer can cancel their subscription at any time from the "Manage Subscription" area of the application. They will not be offered any solutions or information, and their subscription will end.
Ask them for a reason they want to cancel - With this option, you can create multiple reasons a customer may want to cancel. Each reason results in different options/information being presented. A customer can still cancel, but with the correct information or a customized incentive, hopefully, that won't happen.
This option requires the most setup, but it's the option to choose if you're invested in keeping your customers subscribed and want to do what it takes to keep them.
- Provide them with special instructions - This is well suited for stores that would rather have customers contact them to cancel. You can put any text you see fit in this area and provide contact details if you wish. This text will display after a customer attempts to cancel.
- Don't show a cancel button - This is for stores that don't want to allow cancellations. The option to cancel their subscription will not display in the "Manage Subscription" area. This may result in customers contacting you more often, and you will have to cancel their subscription for them in Subscriptions' admin.
Set up "ask them for a reason they want to cancel."
With the second option, you can create some different reasons a customer may cancel and provide different options, special cancellation coupons, or text when a customer selects a specific reason.
Here are some examples you could use:
- Too expensive
- Receiving products too often
- Can't figure out how to swap product
- Won't be home for the next shipment
- Need to skip a shipment
- Need less product
- Can't figure out how to use the product
For each option, you must provide a "result" that will display to your customer upon choosing that reason.
Provide Incentives for Customer Retention
To allow more in-depth options, select the "Provide incentives for customer retention" option.
If you don't select it, you will be listing reasons why a customer is canceling, but will not be providing any further options. A customer will select why they are canceling, and cancel their subscription. This is simple to set up and would be recommended for stores that want a quick solution without any setup being necessary. It'll provide a bit more insight as to why customers are canceling.
If you choose to provide incentives, you can choose to:
- Provide Offers and Discounts; you can offer special "Cancellation Discount Codes".
- Provide Custom Explanation Text; you can use rich text and HTML including images and external links.
Here are a few examples of how you would set up your responses. Keep in mind, how you label these "reasons" are how they display to the customer.
Too Hard to Use:
Don't cancel and save 10%:
You'll notice a cancellation discount/coupon code is being offered, and the ability for a customer to modify the quantity.
I Won't Be Home For My Next Shipment:
Sometimes, you just need to make sure your customers are educated on their options if they might be going on a long vacation or not home to receive their next order. You'll notice this doesn't provide any coupons or explanation, just links them to a "skip" area that is already there, they just missed it.
Make sure to select "Done Editing" after each reason is finished, and select "Add a Reason" to add additional reasons.
You're almost done
When it's set up, this is how it will look to you in Bold Subscriptions admin:
This is how it will look to your customers when they try to cancel:
If you are unfamiliar with discount codes, read these articles for more information:
There is an option when creating a discount code, which designates a discount code to be used for cancellation purposes only.
Creating these "Cancellation Discounts" lists them in the "Offer these discounts" area of Cancellation Management.
Instead of choosing "Standard Discount", choose "Cancellation Discount".
It's important to specify how many orders you want the discount to apply to. If you want a discount code to be limited to one order, don't forget to specify that.
Important Notes about Cancellation Codes:
- Cancellation discount codes will stack. If the customer is already receiving a discount on their subscription, and they add the cancellation discount, you will see them both in their next subscription order.
- Providing too many options for customers sounds like a good idea, but can be confusing. We recommend linking one cancellation discount code per "reason" and try to limit your discount options to one or two.
- You can change the language settings for the Manage Subscription Cancellation window. You can find this under Settings -> Language Settings -> Wording for the Recurring Orders page. Visit Bold Subscriptions Language and Wording Settings for detailed instructions.
- If you're going to be using cancellation codes, you'll need to add a special snippet to your order confirmation email in Shopify. Visit Cancellation Management - Add Liquid Code for Cancellation Email Template for instructions.
- Cancellation Management Setup
- Cancellation Management - Add Liquid Code for Shopify Order Confirmation Email Template
- Create Discount Codes with Bold Subscriptions
- Specific Types of Discount Codes in Bold Subscriptions
- Bold Subscriptions Language and Wording Settings
- Manage Subscription Page