Google Tag Manager is only available for certain payments gateways. As well, by enabling Google Tag Manager you are accepting responsibility for the security and privacy of your customer's data. Please visit the Limitations and Liabilities sections for more information.
Google Tag Manager is a tool that allows you to use tracking scripts and gather analytics on your website without having to modify the site's code.
Bold Cashier allows you to use Google Tag Manager to expand on your analytics for your checkout process. You're able to track your customer's journey through your site to ensure their checkouts are completed.
To set up Google Tag Manager and Cashier, please follow these steps:
The following apps may change or affect information sent through Google Tag Manager:
- Bold Subscriptions: Initial orders will be tracked with tags deployed by Google Tag Manager, however any recurring orders will not be tracked.
- Multi-Currency: The currency the order is in will be passed through Google Tag Manager.
- Bold Upsell: Google Tag Managers tracking ends when a customer lands on the Thank You page. This means that the added product will not be tracked with Google Tag Manager.
- From Shopify's admin, select Apps.
- Select Bold Cashier.
- Select Settings, then Analytics.
- Under "Google Tag Manager (GTM)", enter your GTM Container ID.
- Select Save.
- Select I Accept.
Note: By accepting the terms of service with using Google Tag Manager, you are agreeing to be responsible for the security of your customers' data.
Google Tag Manager is currently only available for use with the following payment gateways:
- Bambora North America
- Checkout V2
- Fat Zebra
- MasterCard Internet Gateway Service (MiGS)
- Payflow Pro
- QuickPay V10
- Secure Pay Australia
- USA ePay
Note: Support for other payment gateways coming in early 2020.
Google Tag Manager is a solution offered and maintained by Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA (“Google”). This solution is a tag management solution used to manage tags, or small code elements, used for tracking and analytics. If you enable the use of Google Tag Manager in your checkout, the solution allows you to embed third party scripts, and causes tags to be activated, that may have access to your customers' personal information and collect data.
- The Google Analytics Terms of Service located at: https://www.google.com/analytics/terms/us.html, and
- The Google LLC Advertising Program Terms.
If you have third party scripts and/or tags delivered through Google Tag Manager, you hereby acknowledge and agree that Bold Commerce is not responsible for third party scripts and/or tags. Please ensure that you trust the third party scripts you are installing, as they can cause issues and security vulnerabilities.
Bold Commerce reserves the right to limit or modify access to items of data accessible or available via the checkout page in response to security or privacy considerations.
Analytics tracking twice
Cashier also has a direct integration with Google Analytics and Facebook Pixel. If you have Google Analytics or Facebook Pixel as a tag in your Google Tag Manager container, and have entered your Google Analytics or Facebook Pixel ID into the Cashier admin, you may be seeing your checkout events being tracked twice. If you have Google Tag Manager enabled, we suggest that you use it for all of your analytics tracking.
There are many different types of tags that you can set up with Google Tag Manager. Please visit Google Tag Manager's supported tags list for more information.
You are also able to create custom HTML tags and custom image tags (intended for adding a tracking pixel).
Here are some of the more common uses for Google Tag Manager:
If you require assistance setting up Google Tag Manager for your store, please submit a request for a Shopify expert.
- Your Google Tags should now be tested to ensure they are tracking information correctly on your storefront. Visit Place a Test Order with Cashier to learn about how to place a test order.