This article outlines how to setup and get started with version 1 of Bold Subscriptions.
Please note that this article only relates to Version 1 of Bold Subscriptions. If you have Version 2 of Bold Subscriptions installed on your store, please visit Subscriptions V2 Overview.
If you are unsure of which version of Bold Subscriptions that you have currently installed, please visit Bold Subscriptions V1 & V2 Comparison.
As of November 2nd, 2020, version 1 of Bold Subscriptions is not available for installation through the Shopify app store.
To learn more about our 2nd version of Bold Subscriptions, please visit Setup Bold Subscriptions V2
Please visit Bold Subscriptions V1 & V2 Comparison for more information on how to determine which version you are using.
Bold Subscriptions V1 offers two price plans: Essentials and Advanced. For more information on these two plans, please visit Bold Subscriptions V1 Overview.
When Subscriptions V1 is installed to your store, it will default to the Essentials plan.
To change your plan on version 1 of Bold Subscriptions, please follow the steps below.
- From within the Bold Subscriptions V1 app, select Settings.
- Select Account & Billing.
- Select Upgrade Plan, then select the Advanced plan.
If your store is currently on a free trial, upgrading to the Advanced plan will not affect this trial on your store.
Please visit Pricing and Transaction fees' for more information on Bold Subscriptions V1 billing.
Bold Subscriptions V1 requires our Liquid code in order to function properly.
Changing and updating your theme requires a new installation of our Liquid code.
There are three ways to install our Liquid code:
- Automatic Install - Automatically install the app's code with our automatic installation tool.
- Expert Install - Have one of installation experts add the code for you.
- Manual Install - Install the code yourself.
Please visit Installation Guide for Bold Subscriptions V1 for more information.
Bold Subscriptions V1 processes its payments separately from your Shopify checkout because it requires you to connect a third party payment gateway.
Please ensure you have an account with one of our supported payment gateways before proceeding with the remaining steps. Some payment gateways take between 7-10 business days before the account is approved, so we recommend completing this step as soon as possible.
For more information, please visit Connecting a Payment Gateway to Bold Subscriptions V1.
Currently, there are three ways to customize your customer's purchase experience:
- Single Cart Mode - Automatically direct your customers to the checkout after they've selected a subscription product.
- Multiple Cart Mode - Let your customers add multiple different subscription products to their cart before proceeding to the checkout.
- Recurring Cart Mode - Let your customers subscribe to a whole cart of products at a time.
To change the cart mode within the Bold Subscriptions app, please follow the steps below.
- From within the Bold Subscriptions V1 app, select Subscriptions.
- Select Cart Mode.
- Select which Cart Mode you would like to enable on your store.
- Select OK on the warning that appears to proceed.
For more information, please visit Cart Modes in Bold Subscriptions V1.
Creating your subscription groups is a different process depending on which cart mode you have selected.
- Selecting single or multiple product cart mode allows you to configure individual subscription groups.
- Selecting the recurring cart cart mode only allows you to manage your subscription details.
Selecting recurring cart does not allow you to select individual products. All of your store's products will be sold as a subscription when using the recurring cart cart mode.
For more information, please visit our V1 Subscription Types Overview article.
Once the installation is completed, you can connect Bold's test payment gateway to test the subscription order process on your store. This will help you view the purchase process from a customer's perspective.
Please visit Creating a Test Order with Bold Subscriptions V1 for more information.
Bold Commerce recommends reviewing the app's default settings before launching your subscription products. This gives you the opportunity to customize the app's email templates, language settings, and display settings.
Please visit Subscriptions Features Overview for more information on adjusting these settings.
Looking to offer incentives to your customers?
Please visit Discounts in Bold Subscriptions V1 to learn more about what kinds of incentives you can offer with Bold Subscriptions V1.
With Bold Subscriptions V1, you can customize everything from the display of the widget, to the language in the checkout.
Please visit Customization & Styling in Bold Subscriptions V1 for more information.
Bold Subscriptions V1 is packed with features that help both you and your customers manage their orders with ease.
To learn more about how to manage your inventory, refunds, or cancellations, please visit Customization & Styling in Bold Subscriptions.