Please note that this article only relates to Version 1 of Bold Subscriptions. Please visit Bold Subscriptions V1 & V2 Comparison for more information on determining which version of Bold Subscriptions you are currently on.
Looking to get Bold Subscriptions set-up and running? Follow this comprehensive step-by-step guide and you will soon be ready to launch your subscription service.
Let's get started!
To install Bold Subscriptions on your Shopify store, please follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Bold Subscriptions page in the Shopify app store.
- If it prompts you, enter your .myshopify.com URL.
- Accept the App Permissions, then select Install App.
- Select Start Free Trial to approve the future monthly charges.
Note: If you have previously installed the app, you will be prompted to pay the first month's fee right away.
- Read through and accept the terms and conditions.
Bold Subscriptions has two price plans which are currently available: The Essentials plan, and Advanced plan. For more information on the features included within these two plans, please visit our Bold Subscriptions app page.
When Subscriptions is installed to your store, it will default to the Essentials plan.
To adjust which plan your store is currently on, please follow these steps:
- From within the Bold Subscriptions app, select Settings.
- Select Account & Billing.
- Select Upgrade Plan, then select the Advanced plan.
If your store is currently on a free trial, upgrading to the Advanced plan will not affect this trial on your store.
Please visit Pricing and Transaction fees' for more information on Bold Subscriptions billing.
Bold Subscriptions requires that Liquid code be added to your Shopify theme in order to work properly. This includes making sure the widget appears on your product pages, and that orders complete properly.
There are three options for completing this installation on your store:
- Automatic Install - This option automatically adds the Bold Subscriptions code to your theme.
- Expert Install - Have one of Bold's experts add the code to your store manually.
- Manual Install - View our step-by-step guide to manually add all of the Bold Subscriptions code to your theme.
For more information on completing each step, please visit our Installation Guide for Bold Subscriptions.
Bold Subscriptions processes its own payments, separate from your Shopify checkout. This is done by attaching a payment gateway to properly accept these payments.
Before moving forward, please ensure that you have an account with one of our supported payment gateways. Some gateways can take between 7-10 business days before the account is approved, so we recommend completing this step as soon as possible.
For more information, please visit our article on Connecting a Payment Gateway to Bold Subscriptions.
Currently, there are three main cart modes to choose from which will impact how subscriptions are presented on your storefront.
There are unique functionalities that each mode offers. Please review each, and find which one is best suited for your needs. These options are:
- Single Cart Mode - Direct your customers to your checkout automatically after selecting one subscription product.
- Multiple Cart Mode - Let your customers add multiple different subscription products to their cart before proceeding to the checkout.
- Recurring Cart Mode - Let your customers subscribe to a whole cart of products at a time.
To change the cart mode within the Bold Subscriptions app, please follow these steps:
- From within the Bold Subscriptions app, select Subscriptions.
- Select Cart Mode.
- Select which Cart Mode you would like to enable on your store.
- Select OK on the warning that appears to proceed.
For more information, please visit our Cart Modes in Bold Subscriptions article.
The Subscription options setup will be different depending on which cart mode you selected in the previous step.
If you choose to operate in Single or Multiple products mode, you will need to configure your subscription groups. This involves selecting products and criteria that will define the rules of your subscriptions.
For more information, please visit our Subscription Types Overview article.
Once the installation is complete, you are able to connect to our test payment gateway to create a test order on your store. This will help you see what your customer sees' in terms of customization, the Manage Subscription page, etc.
Visit our page on Creating a Test Order with Bold Subscriptions for more information on completing this step.
Bold Commerce recommends reviewing the app's default settings before launching your subscriptions on your store. This will give you the opportunity to customize email templates, language settings, and display settings to your liking.
Visit our Subscriptions Features Overview for more information on adjusting the in-app settings.
If you're looking to offer incentives such as "Subscribe and Save!" offers, please visit our Discounts in Bold Subscriptions article to learn more about how this can be best utilized for your business modal.
Within Bold Subscriptions, you can customize everything from the display of the widget to the language in the checkout. You can do this to match your stores theme, or to be a vibrant stand-out option for your customers to gravitate to.
For more information, visit our Customization & Styling in Bold Subscriptions.
Bold Subscriptions is packed with features that help both the merchant and customers manage their orders with easy. To learn more about ways about managing your inventory, refunds and cancellations, visit our Manage Subscriptions overview, here.