Convertible Subscriptions allows for an automatic product switch between your customers first and second subscription order. This means your customers have the option to subscribe to a single product in your Shopify store, and automatically receive a different product with their second, and ongoing shipments.
This feature allows you to create unique subscription campaigns for your customers. It even integrates with our Subscription Dynamic Discounts, allowing you to offer different savings on both the initial and Subscription product.
You can also use this feature to upsell a subscription; Convert a trial-sized product into a full-size subscription item. You can offer an introductory subscription box that automatically transitions to the regular product. Even if your subscription model requires an initial fee, you can achieve that with the use of two different products.
Please visit our Convertible Subscriptions Demo to see how this will appear on your storefront.
Using the Convertible Subscription feature may require a bit more explanation than your typical subscription model. Here are a few tips to make it clear to your customers what should be expected on their next subscription orders, to avoid any confusion or surprises.
Utilize your Shopify product description:
The Bold Subscriptions widget that appears on your product page is great for adding information about your subscriptions. To better explain how the subscription will change in the future to your customer, it is a good idea to make use of your Shopify product description. Make sure to explain the details of the Convertible Subscription created on your store, and make sure it is clear what your customers options are for their first and second orders.
Be strategic with your product images:
This will depend on what type of products you are selling, but don't be afraid to incorporate your Convertible Subscriptions into your product images. Outline your pricing even further in a way that may provide a small preview image of the subscription product that they will expect.
Enable the "Upcoming Shipment" and "Manage Subscription Order" emails:
Depending on the time between your customers first and second order dates, your customer might need a little reminder of what to expect. Our Subscriptions email templates are fully customizable and can provide vital information on how your client can manage their subscription.
This can be found within the Settings > Email Notifications section of the Bold Subscriptions app. Please visit our Bold Subscriptions Email Notifications page for more detailed instructions.
The "Mange Subscription Order" email sends information to your customers after their first ever subscription purchase on your store. If you introduce this notification to your program, your customers can be notified where they can go to sign up for a Shopify account within your store.
The "Upcoming Shipment" email will send an email notification before your customers next charge date. This creates the perfect time to remind them what product they are to expect next. You can choose how many days before their order date the email will get sent out, giving your customers ample time to make adjustments to their subscription product.
They may need to adjust their product quantity, swap the product, or even reschedule their order date. This is a perfect way of letting them know not only that they can do these things themselves but how to do it and providing a link to your Shopify login page.
Create a Convertible Subscription
Convertible Subscriptions are not available if your store is on Recurring Cart Mode. To review this information, please go to Subscriptions > Cart Mode within our app.
To create a Convertible subscription, please follow these steps:
- From Shopify's admin, select Apps.
- Select Bold Subscriptions.
- Select Subscriptions, then My Subscriptions.
- Select Create Subscription Group.
- In "Step 1: Select Subscription Type", enter an Internal Subscription Name, and then select Convertible.
- In Step 2: Select Products", under "Initial Purchase", select Select Products.
For this step, you will be adding the products that you would like the initial subscription to apply to.
- Under "Recurring Product", select Select Products.
This step will allow you to choose which products will be offered after the first purchase.
- In "Step 3: Select Intervals", you will have two options:
Let customer select order interval
This option allows you to create set intervals between each of your customers orders. For example, if you select "2 Months", your customers orders will always generate every second month. You could also set a maximum amount a customer can select for intervals.
Set a fixed order interval
Under "orders will process every", enter a number. Select Day(s), Week(s), Month(s), or Years(s). This will allow your customer to have a choice in the widget on the product page to select how often their order generates.
If you create a fixed order interval of "3", then it allows your customer to select between 1, 2, or 3 months between orders.
- Under the "Recurring options", you will have the option to select between Subscription and one time purchase, or limiting this product to a Subscription only.
- Under "Maximum Subscription Length", you will be able to select between not having a limit on your customers subscriptions, or to Set a max number of recurring orders.
- Under "Minimal Fulfilled Order Requirement", you can choose to not allow cancellations for the subscription until a certain amount of orders are fulfilled.
- In Step 4: Offer a Discount", you can choose to offer the same discount on every subscription order, or offer different discounts on initial and recurring orders.
- Select Save.
- When a Convertible subscription group is set to start, you will be able to view the subscription widget on the product page. It is important to test it before allowing your customers to subscribe; this will ensure it is set up to your specifications. Please visit Create Test Orders with Bold Subscriptions for steps on placing a test subscription order.