Please note that this article only relates to Version 1 of Bold Subscriptions. If you have Version 2 of Bold Subscriptions installed on your store, please visit Subscriptions V2 Overview.
If you are unsure of which version of Bold Subscriptions that you have currently installed, please visit Bold Subscriptions V1 & V2 Comparison.
Bold Subscriptions V1 allows you to give your customers the option to prepay for their orders. This provides you with a unique way to offer your subscriptions for a set number of orders up front.
There are tons of reasons why customers may be inclined to prepay for a subscription instead of paying monthly. Often, prepaid subscriptions are offered at tiered discounts which gives the subscriber an incentive to prepay for longer periods of time. Customers will also not have to worry about payment disruptions that could potentially delay their order from getting back to them.
This feature works with the Single, or Multiple cart modes.
Enabling gift subscriptions shows a checkbox on your product page asking your customers if they are purchasing this product as a gift. If selected, they will be prompted for the recipient's shipping address. When enabling this setting, the subscription will expire at the end of the prepaid period even if you have the prepaid setting to continue to charge after a specific number of orders.
How it Works
Customers will be given the option to prepay when viewing the subscription product on your store. This image is an example of how this would look on your Shopify product page:
If the customer chooses to prepay, they will be brought directly to our subscription checkout to purchase. This skips the cart page completely when your customers make a Gift/Prepaid purchase.
While in the checkout, the cost of the product and any applicable shipping charges will multiple by the number of orders chosen to prepay. This will also include any applicable taxes.
Once this order is placed, you will see an order generate in Shopify with the full cost of the order. Any reoccurring order that appears in Shopify for fulfillment will appear as $0.00.
Prepaid Order Lengths
Instead of choosing No limit, which is used for non-expiring subscriptions, choose Set max numbers of recurring orders to. You can insert as many order lengths as you like, and optionally offer a % based discount to each length. You can have them expire or auto-renew at the end of the subscription period. Gift subscriptions will expire after the chosen length of time.
When your customer makes a prepaid order on your store, it will create an order within Shopify with the full balance.
Whenever their order is meant to reoccur, another Shopify order is created to help with managing the fulfilment. This order will process for $0.00.
A limitation for prepaid subscriptions is not being able to add items on to reoccurring orders for $0.00. If you try add a product to this order within Shopify, it will still complete the order at $0.00.
- From within Bold Subscriptions V1, select Subscriptions, then My Subscriptions.
- Select the ellipsis next to the subscription group you would like to make a Prepaid or Gift Subscription.
- Select Edit Subscription.
- Scroll down to Maximum Subscription Length.
- Select Set the max number for recurring orders to and enter length options.
- Select Allow customers to prepay for subscriptions. It should look something like this:
- Enter a number of orders you would like to offer for prepayment. You can add multiple options for your customers.
- Enter a % off incentive for prepaying. (optional)
Note: Only a percentage discount can be applied for dynamic discounts. If you are uncertain of what discount percentage to use, you can determine the discount percentage using the following percentage calculator tool.
- Choose whether the subscription renews or ends after the pre-paid subscription is over by either selecting Continue charging or Expire.
- Select Make these products prepaid only. (optional)
- Select Make prepaid subscriptions always expire if you want all pre-paid subscriptions to always expire once each pre-paid subscription ends. (optional)
- Select Allow gift subscriptions? to allow gift subscriptions. (optional)
- Under Minimum Fulfilled Order Requirement, select Customers can cancel after at least X orders and enter a minimum order amount. This prevents customers from being able to cancel the subscription until a certain amount of orders have been generated on your store.
Note: When using the Minimum Fulfilled Order Requirement feature, we recommend updating your Terms and Conditions to reflect this information.
- Select Offer the same discount on all orders if you want to offer an additional discount and enter the discount amount. (optional)
- Select Save.
When a pre-paid subscription is set to start, you will be able to view the subscription widget on the product page. It is important to test it before allowing your customers to subscribe; this will ensure it is set up to your specifications. Please visit Create Test Orders with Bold Subscriptions V1 for steps on placing a test subscription order.