Please note that this article only relates to Version 1 of Bold Subscriptions. Please visit Bold Subscriptions V1 & V2 Comparison for more information on determining which version of Bold Subscriptions you are currently on.
When a customer purchases a product as a subscription, they can do so while viewing your store as a guest or with a logged in account. While Customers do not need to be logged in to place a subscription order, a customer must have a Shopify account to manage their subscription after the first order is purchased.
It is important that before subscription groups are created and activated in Bold Subscriptions V1, that Shopify Accounts are either set to optional or required in your Shopify admin.
When enabling Shopify accounts, you can either:
- Require Shopify accounts - A customer will not be able to check out until they register or log in with a Shopify account. Requiring Shopify accounts tends to have lower conversion rates and adds an additional step to the checkout process; or
- Make Shopify accounts optional - A customer can check out through the subscription checkout without a Shopify account. Their subscription will be tied to the email address they entered during the Subscriptions checkout process, and they can make a Shopify account (using that email address) at any time.
After enabling Shopify Accounts in your Shopify admin, you can specify whether subscription orders require customers to log in to an account prior to going into the checkout, or if accounts are optional. This setting can be found and configured in Bold Subscriptions V1.
To get started on enabling Shopify Accounts in your Shopify admin and enabling accounts as either optional or required in Bold Subscriptions V1, please follow these steps:
- From within the Shopify admin, select Settings.
- Select Checkout.
- Select either Accounts are optional or Accounts are required.
- Select Save.
- From within Bold Subscriptions V1, select Settings, then General.
- Under Customer Accounts, select either Accounts are optional or Accounts are required.
- Select Save.
- If accounts are set to required either in Shopify or in Bold Subscriptions, it would be best to try purchasing a subscription product while viewing the storefront as a guest to ensure that you are not able to proceed into the checkout with a guest account. Please visit Create Test Orders with Bold Subscriptions for steps on placing a test subscription order.