When a customer purchases a subscription, they can do so while as a guest or while logged into their Shopify customer account.
While Customers do not need to be logged into an account in order to purchase, a customer must have a Shopify customer account before they're able to manage their subscription via the Manage Subscription Page.
It is important to note that, before you create and activate your subscription groups, you must enable Shopify customer accounts from within the Shopify admin. These must either be set to optional or required.
Please note that this article only relates to Version 1 of Bold Subscriptions. If you have Version 2 of Bold Subscriptions installed on your store, please visit Subscriptions V2 Overview.
If you are unsure of which version of Bold Subscriptions that you have currently installed, please visit Bold Subscriptions V1 & V2 Comparison.
There are 2 options you can select from when enabling Shopify's customer accounts:
- Require Shopify accounts - Customers will not be able to checkout until they've registered or logged in with a Shopify customer account. Requiring Shopify customer accounts tends to lower a store's conversion rates with the additional step of logging in or registering.
- Make Shopify accounts optional - Customers can purchase a subscription without being signed in. Their subscription will be tied to the email address entered during checkout. Customers can then make a Shopify customer account using that same email address at a later time to access the Manage Subscription Page.
After enabling Shopify's customer accounts, you can specify whether your customers are required to be logged in to an account prior to purchase.
- From within the Shopify admin, select Settings.
- Select Checkout.
- Select either Accounts are optional or Accounts are required.
- Select Save.
- From within Bold Subscriptions V1, select Settings, then General.
- Under Customer Accounts, select either Accounts are optional or Accounts are required.
- Select Save.
Please contact our Merchant Success team if you are experiencing any issues with your customer accounts.