This guide answers several common questions in regards to functionality with Bold Discounts.
Here's the questions that are covered in this article:
- Can I create a Buy X Get Y type of discount using Bold Discounts V1?
- Can I create discount codes or use automatic discount codes while using Bold Discounts V1?
- Can I disable coupons while running a sale?
- Can I discount specific variants of a product?
- Can I edit or import products while running a sale with Bold Discounts V1?
- Can I set shipping rates that only apply to products that are discounted via Bold Discounts V1?
- Duplicate & hidden products appearing on search results, collection pages, home page of my store, etc.?
- How does the duplicate & hide feature manage inventory levels?
- How do I remove a product that's on sale?
- How fast does the app discount my products?
- What happens if more than one sale applies to an item?
- What is the duplicate & hide feature?
- What timezone settings are used for scheduling?
- Why can't I edit or delete a sale?
- Will my discounts work on other sales channels?
Please select a question to view the answer:
No, discount codes cannot be created in Bold Discounts V1 at this time. All discount codes will need to be created in your Shopify admin.
Automatic discount codes can be created and used at the same time with products being discounted via Bold Discounts are present on the cart page. This allows you to offer stackable discounts on the cart and checkout page of your store.
If you would like to prevent stackable discounts on your store, you can disable automatic discount codes in your Shopify admin or switch from Version 1 to PRE of Bold Discounts to avoid stackable discounts on your store.
Bold Discounts V1 doesn't utilize discount codes, but both sources of discounts can work side by side. The app discounts the store's product pricing, coupons are entered at the checkout. There is no way within Shopify to prevent coupons from being added.
The version for Bold Discounts can be switched to Bold Discounts PRE which prevents users from using coupons in the checkout if a discounted product from Discounts PRE is added. Please visit Bold Discounts V1 & PRE Comparison for more information on each version and how to switch versions.
The discount applies to all variants of a product. Discounts doesn't have the ability to apply only to selected variants unless you adjust its price manually.
The version for Bold Discounts can be switched to Bold Discounts PRE which allows you to only discount certain variants of products. Please visit Bold Discounts V1 & PRE Comparison for more information on each version and how to switch versions.
Simple changes to products can be made manually (without the use of a third party app) while your products are in active discount groups. Some of these changes include changing the product title, descriptions, stock level, etc.
Do not import products while you are running a Discounts sale. Doing so disconnects products from the app, and you will not be able to end the sale. Before importing products, pause all sales.
Discounts is not compatible with third-party inventory management apps or apps that perform automatic product syncs. These types of apps generally perform information syncs that override or don't copy the meta-fields we place on your products to mark them as on sale.
This can then disconnect our app from your products, causing items to not be placed on sale, become double-discounted, or seemingly come off sale for no reason at all.
No, Bold Discounts V1 does not have built-in shipping rates at this time. The shipping rates that are set in the Shopify admin will be used when discounted products via Bold Discounts are present in the checkout page.
If a hidden product created from Bold Discounts V1 is appearing on the storefront, there could be a few reasons as to why the products are appearing. The most common reasons our team have experienced are the following:
- Missing/Incomplete Liquid Install - If a liquid installation has not yet been completed on your store, the hidden products created from Bold Discounts may appear on your storefront in various locations. Please visit Bold Discounts V1 Install Instructions for steps to either request an install or manually perform the install yourself.
- Broken Duplicate & Hidden Product - If a duplicate & hidden product gets updated via an inventory sync, product export/import, or any other sync while the discount groups are enabled in Bold Discounts, this can cause issues with hidden products missing tags or metafields. In result, the hidden products created by Bold Discounts may appear on the storefront. This issue can be fixed by turning off and back on the discount group(s) that the hidden products were created from in Bold Discounts.
Note: After the discount group has been turned off, please double check your products and ensure the duplicate & hidden product(s) have been removed. If the hidden product(s) have not been removed, the hidden product(s) will need to be manually deleted before re-enabling the discount group in Bold Discounts.
- Third Party App Conflict - If a third party app is being used to generate pages on your store, this may cause some issues with duplicate & hidden products appearing on your store. In order to hide duplicate & hidden products on pages that are managed by third party apps, this will require a separate customization on your theme's liquid code. Please visit 3rd Party Search App Customizations for a list of third party search apps that can be integrated with Bold Discounts.
Note: If you are not comfortable with applying one of the customizations available onto your theme, you can request the customization from our team here.
Discounts - integrated with Bold Upsell - gives you the ability to offer Buy One Get One deals on your site using its duplicate & hide feature. This feature creates a hidden duplicate of the main version of your product(s). Discounts does this so you can offer discounted items, through Upsell, that aren't purchasable on their own.
When the duplicate version is purchased, Discounts will subtract inventory from both the duplicate and the main version of the item. However, when just the main version is purchased, the inventory is not reduced on our duplicate product. This is because Shopify does not communicate back with our servers to inform us of these purchases.
This means that the main version of your product(s) will always contain the true inventory numbers. Because Discounts deletes these duplicate items when the sale is turned off, these products technically act as placeholders. We want to ensure that the main product's inventory always remains true.
Discounts creates its sales by communicating directly with Shopify's servers to temporarily change the selling price of your items.
When a sale is active with Discounts, there is no way to add or remove a product. All of the information associated with the discount is placed on your products, and communicated to Shopify at the time the sale is turned on.
To edit the item(s) in a discount, you must deactivate the sale, add or remove the product(s), then re-activate the sale on your site.
On average, it takes between 60-90 minutes per 1000 variants. This is due to a limitation of how quickly we can access Shopify's severs to make these adjustments. Peak periods, such as Black Friday & Cyber Monday can take significantly longer.
If you apply two sales to the same product, Discounts V1 will use the discount applied first, and skip any other discounts. This prevents a product from being double discounted by mistake.
Discounts does this by tagging each item that it places on sale with hidden "meta-fields". Any product that has Discounts' meta-fields attached to it will be skipped from being discounted.
Visit Metafields (links to Shopify) for more information on this.
When you create a sale through Discounts, you have the option to duplicate and hide that product; which means you can copy your product and apply the discount to it, without affecting the price of the original product. This feature is useful if you want to offer special discounts to certain people, without advertising the sale price on your site.
For example, you can use our Bold Upsell app to create a buy one, get one 50% off deal. You don't want to discount the original product's price because you don't want everyone to get the sale price; only those who qualify for the offer. This feature also removes the duplicate product from the site search results so you don't have to worry about people finding it who shouldn't.
Visit Bold Discounts V1 Install Instructions for more information on how to implement this coding installation.
The timezone settings are based on your store's local time. They are found in your Shopify admin, under Settings > General.
To view a discount offer, select the magnifying glass under the "View/Edit" column. When the icon appears as a pencil, the offer is turned off, and you can edit it. You cannot delete an offer while it's active, you must turn it off first.
If the sales channel uses the price that is set for products in your Shopify admin, the discounts set via Bold Discounts V1 will apply onto other sales channels. If the sales channel in question does not sync from the price field set in the Shopify admin, the price will need to be manually adjusted to reflect the discount from Bold Discounts.