Please note that this article only relates to Version 1 of Bold Subscriptions. If you have Version 2 of Bold Subscriptions installed on your store, please visit Subscriptions V2 Overview.
If you are unsure of which version of Bold Subscriptions that you have currently installed, please visit Bold Subscriptions V1 & V2 Comparison.
All emails that apply to regular Shopify orders should still apply to your customers. In addition to these, there are several email templates offered within the Bold Subscriptions app.
The majority of the email templates within the Bold Subscriptions V1 app should be enabled, but the most important are the Credit Card Declined, Shipping Address Declined, Manage Subscription Order, and the Insufficient Inventory templates.
When a change is made on your customers subscription order, the Bold Subscriptions app will trigger an email to be sent to notify them of this change. This is important to ensure that your customers are always aware of the status of their order.
From within the Bold Subscriptions V1 app, navigate to Settings > Email Notifications to enable which emails you would like to send to your customers.
Please see the list below for all the events that trigger the emails sent to your customers:
|Subscription Update||Any change made to a subscription by either the store admin or customer.|
|A scheduled subscription order is coming up.|
|Price Change||When there is a change to the price of a product in a customer's subscription (also triggered by a global price change).|
|Product Change||When a product in an active subscription has been swapped for a different product due to being deleted or changed.|
|Product Remove||A product was removed from the Shopify store product pages.|
|Add to Existing Subscription||When a product is added to an existing subscription (Not triggered if a customer creates a new subscription via the storefront checkout).|
A customer's subscription has been cancelled and marked inactive. (Note: This email is not sent if the order was cancelled due to failed transactions over limit).
|Refund Notification||A refund has been processed for that customer.|
|Manage Subscription Order||When a customer purchases their first subscription.|
|Limited Subscription Expiry||The limited length subscription is about to expire (Email sent to customer before their last order).|
|Prepaid Subscription Expiry||
The prepaid subscription is about to expire (Email sent to customer before their last order). This also applies to gift subscriptions.
|Upcoming Credit Card Expiry||A customer's credit card is set to expire in 1 month.|
|Build a Box Upcoming Order||When a build a box order is coming up.|
|Shipping Address Denied||An order failing due to an issue with the customer's shipping address.|
|Insufficient Inventory Denied||
An order failing due to insufficient inventory (Product is marked out of stock and overselling is disabled).
To configure these email templates, please follow these steps:
- From within the Bold Subscriptions V1 app, select Settings.
- Select Email Notifications.
- Edit the Email Settings to display your information.
- Select the User Activity Notifications you would like to enable.
- Select Save.
- Select Edit next to the email template you would like to enable.
Note: You can test your emails by selecting the Test Email button beside the respective notification.
- Deselect the Check if you DO NOT want to send an email checkbox to enable it.
- Edit Email Subject and Email Body (optional).
- Select Save.
We offer a great tool that you can use to edit email templates in Bold Subscriptions V1. To use it, please follow these steps:
- Complete the step-by-step above.
- Go to Bold Commerce Email Editor for Bold Subscriptions V1.
- Next to You are currently viewing, select the Email Template you created.
- Select a Quick Theme or Import your own theme.
- In the Header Section, enter the URL for your Logo.
- Adjust any Color, Size, Border, etc.
- Select Get Code.
- Select Copy to Clipboard.
- Back within Bold Subscriptions V1, in the Email Template under the Email Body field, select Tools.
- Select Source code.
- Erase all the text within this area, and paste the new information.
- Select Ok, then Save.
Bold Subscriptions V1 has a number of automatic email notifications that you can enable to keep your customers in the loop regarding their subscription and actions that may affect them.
About SPF records
Certain email providers may see a higher number of emails sent to a customer's spam box, or may not even be sent to the customer at all.
To improve Subscriptions' email deliverability, it may be necessary to add our Sender Policy Framework record to your existing DNS.
An SPF record is a type of Domain Name Service (DNS) record that identifies which mail servers are permitted to send email on behalf of your domain. The purpose of an SPF record is to detect and prevent spammers from sending messages with forged "From" addresses on your domain.
Adding our Bold Apps SPF record to your DNS should improve this, and allow customers to receive automated emails from our app more reliably.
How to Add Our SPF Record to your DNS
This process will be different for the various email providers, but instructions should be easily found through your hosting support or email service help articles.
Please see the step-by-step, below:
- Login to your domain's administrative console.
- Navigate to the page where the DNS records can be updated.
- Create a TXT record containing this text:
v=spf1 include:spf1.boldapps.net ~all.
- Ensure you use ~all and not -all. If you don't, this may cause some email delivery issues.
- Save these changes.