Once Bold Cashier is completely set up on your store, it is recommended that test orders be placed to ensure everything is working correctly.
Creating test orders can be completed on a backup theme to ensure there is no disruption to your live store. It is also recommended to put Cashier in Development mode while testing, which allows you to process an order through a test payment gateway.
When orders are completed without Development mode being enabled, this means it will require a real payment to process.
This article is relevant to Bold Cashier on Shopify. If your store is using Bold Checkout, please visit the articles relevant for BigCommerce or commercetools.
Bold Cashier was built to replace the Shopify checkout. While development mode is enabled, Bold Cashier will not be able to process live orders with real credit cards through your store.
Please be sure to disable development mode when you're ready to go live and start accepting real orders.
- From the Shopify admin, select Apps.
- Select Bold Cashier.
- Select Payment Options, then Payment Gateways.
- Select the toggle to enable development mode.
Note: This will have to be turned off again when you would like Cashier to go live again on your store.
- Once development mode has been enabled, the following message will appear. You may now proceed with placing a test order with a test payment gateway.
When Cashier is enabled in the general settings, all purchases will go from the online store cart page into the Cashier checkout. When Cashier is disabled or turned off, purchases will go through Shopify's regular checkout.
- Within the Online Store area of your Shopify admin, create a Duplicate of your live theme.
- From within the Bold Cashier app, navigate to Settings > General Settings.
- Navigate to Test Cashier, and select your desired unpublished theme.
- Select Turn Cashier On.
- Select Use Cashier only when required by plugins. (optional)
Bold Cashier has a partially enabled mode that enables you to use Cashier only when certain plugins/integrations use Cashier. Otherwise, your customers would be directed to the Shopify checkout.
If a plugin/integration does not have a partially enabled functionality, then all of your orders will be sent through Bold Cashier. If you are using a plugin/integration not listed below, but would like to take advantage of partially enabled mode, please reach out to our Customer Success team for further assistance.
Bold Multi-Currency: Your store's default currency will be directed to the Shopify checkout, and any other currency will be directed to Cashier.
Note: If you have a currency that is in “Display Only” mode, your customers will be directed to Cashier's checkout; even though they will be paying in your store's default currency.
- Bold Upsell: Cashier will only be used when your customers have a trigger product (for an After Checkout offer) in their cart.
- Bold Subscriptions V1: Cashier will only be used when your customers have a subscription product in their cart.
- Bold Custom Pricing: Cashier will only be used when your customers have a product discounted by Custom Pricing in their cart.
When creating test orders, it is best to try different scenarios when testing (for example: gift cards, discount codes, credit cards, being logged in or out, etc.) to ensure everything is set up properly.
If development mode has been enabled, or if you would like to place a live test order to have it refunded after, then please proceed with these steps:
- From your Shopify storefront, add products to the cart.
- Select Checkout.
- Ensure the URL in the address bar now begins with cashier.boldcommerce.com.
- Proceed through the Checkout.
- Enter the following Test Payment Card information:
Card Type Good Card Number Failed/Declined Card Number Visa 4111 1111 1111 1111 4012 8888 8888 1881
- Select Complete Order.
- From the Shopify admin, select Apps after receiving the Order Confirmation email.
- Select Bold Cashier.
- Select Orders, then All Orders.
- Ensure the order you placed appears here as Captured.
- Check the Shopify order admin to see if this payment has been captured. It should be listed as from Bold Cashier (via import) beside the order number.