Looking to get Bold Subscriptions V2 set up and running? Follow this comprehensive step-by-step guide and you will soon be ready to launch your subscription service. This article will help with completing the required steps to getting started, and will make sure Subscriptions are ready to be used on your store going forward.
Please note that this article only relates to Version 2 of Bold Subscriptions. If you have Version 1 of Bold Subscriptions installed on your store, please visit Setup Bold Subscriptions V1.
If you are unsure of which version of Bold Subscriptions that you currently have installed to your store, please visit Identify Your Version of Bold Subscriptions.
To install Bold Subscriptions V2 on your Shopify store, please follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Bold Subscriptions page in the Shopify app store.
- If it prompts you, enter your .myshopify.com URL.
- Accept the App Permissions, then select Install App.
- Select Start Free Trial to approve the future monthly charges.
Note: If you have previously installed the app, you will be prompted to pay the first month's fee right away.
- Read through and accept the terms and conditions.
Bold Subscriptions requires that Liquid code be added to your Shopify theme in order to function properly. This includes making sure the widget appears on your product pages, and that orders complete properly. Once this install is complete, you will be ready to configure your Subscriptions.
There are three options for completing this installation on your store:
- Automatic Install -This option will trigger our automatic installer to complete on your store. You will still be asked to confirm which theme you would like this code to be installed on after selecting this option.
- Manual Install -This step will direct you to the installation instructions for completing this change yourself. Please note that this is only suggested if you have a strong knowledge of Liquid coding.
- Manual Install via App Widget Block - This installation is only compatible for those using Shopify's Online Store 2.0 and Shopify 2.0 themes.
Please visit our Installation Guide for Bold Subscriptions for the complete step-by-step instructions for each method.
In order for Bold Subscriptions to process subscription transactions on your store, either Shopify Payments, Authorize.net or PayPal Express need to be connected and activated in your Shopify store. Shopify currently does not integrate with other payment gateways for subscription orders.
Please visit Shopify Payments for steps that you can follow to setup and configure Shopify Payments on your store.
Bold Subscriptions allows you to create standard type subscriptions where you can choose which products can be purchased on a recurring subscription and allows you to set subscription rules for your products.
You can set the frequency that customers are charged for subscriptions on your store, choose when they are billed for recurring orders, and offer a discount for purchasing a subscription.
To create a standard subscription, please visit Create a Standard Subscription Group for a detailed walk-through.
Once your subscription group has been created, we recommend placing a test order for one of your subscription products. This will allow you to see everything on your store exactly how your customers see it.
Within Shopify Payments, you can put your store into Test Mode. This will help you create a test order on your store without having to make a live payment. For more information on putting Shopify Payments in test mode, please visit Shopify's article on Creating a Test Order.
To create an order on your store for testing purposes, please follow these steps:
- From your storefront, navigate to a subscription product page.
- Choose a subscription frequency, and select Add to Cart.
- Complete the checkout through Shopify's Checkout.
Note: If you have Test mode enabled on your store, please use the following payment information:
Card Number: 4242 4242 4242 4242
Any Name, future expiration date, CVV
- Within Bold Subscriptions, navigate to Subscriptions.
- From here, locate your subscription purchase and view options to manage.
Please note that Bold Subscriptions does not interact with fulfillment of your orders, such as sending out your products or generating shipping labels. The order fulfillment must be processed the same way that one-time orders are processed on your store.
Bold Commerce recommends reviewing the app's default settings before launching your subscriptions on your store. This will give you the opportunity to customize email templates, language settings, and display settings to your liking.
Visit our Edit Settings in Bold Subscriptions for more information on adjusting the in-app settings.
Bold Subscriptions allows you to set what customers see when a customer attempts to cancel a subscription on your store.
You can either set a specific message that is displayed to customers on the Customer Portal, or set cancellation reasons that customers can choose from when attempting to cancel a subscription.
In the Dunning Management section of Bold Subscriptions, you can determine how long Bold Subscriptions waits until the app attempts to capture the transaction for the first time, how often the app attempts to charge the subscription after the 1st attempt and what happens after the failed transaction limit has been met.
Please visit Cancellation & Dunning Management for more information on setting up the cancellation flow and dunning management in Bold Subscriptions.