Bold Subscriptions provides your store with the ability to offer products to your customers on a recurring basis.
Please note that this article only relates to Version 2 of Bold Subscriptions. Please visit Bold Subscriptions V1 & V2 Comparison for more information on determining which version of Bold Subscriptions you are currently on.
This app is also packed with features, such as the ability to send email notifications, allow you and your customers to completely manage their own subscriptions, and to offer built-in subscription discounts.
Ready to get started with Subscriptions?
Subscriptions requires liquid code be added to your Shopify theme to work properly. This ensures that the widget appears on the product pages and is captured as a recurring subscription in Shopify's checkout.
Each theme on your Shopify store is different. This means that if you're planning on using multiple themes or switching things up, the code will have to be installed first. This code installation is required on each of your themes that you plan to use to ensure the Bold Subscription app continues to run properly.
The Bold Subscriptions code can be installed on your store automatically from within the app, or manually by adding code to your theme.
For more information on adding liquid code to your store, please see our Installation Guide for Bold Subscriptions V2.
Currently, Bold Subscriptions has a monthly fee of $49.99, with a 1% transaction fee that applies to orders with a subscription product present. A 60-day free trial is also offered to your store when it is first installed.
This plan includes all of the following perks, below:
|Price per month||
|Offering Standard Subscriptions||
|Customizable Email Notifications||
|Customer-managed Subscription portal||
|Cancellation & Dunning Management||
|Reduce voluntary and involuntary Churn||
Visit Pricing and Transaction fees for more information on Bold Subscription billing.
To make sure that your store is eligible to run the Bold Subscriptions V2 app:
Your store must use Shopify Payments. This is because Shopify creates a "subscription contract", which allows us to reuse the payment method that the customer used. This is currently only compatible with Shopify Payments.
- Customers can't use accelerated checkouts such as Amazon Pay, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Klarna, mollie iDEAL, Shop Pay, and Sofort, to purchase subscriptions.
- A Storefront API cannot be currently used to build your storefront.
- To be eligible for Bold Subscriptions V2, your checkout.liquid formatting must be in the default state. If your checkout is customized, and you wish to use Bold Subscriptions, you will need to revert your checkout.liquid file back to default. Reverting will remove any checkout customizations you have. (Shopify can help with this change.)
- Must not have an existing subscription service. An existing subscription service may cause front end compatibility issues. We also do not yet have the ability to migrate subscribers into Bold Subscriptions v2.
- Shopify Plus Only: Must not have any checkout scripts active while using Bold Subscriptions. These checkout scripts are used by the Shopify app, "Script Editor".
Bold Subscriptions provides a powerful, API-driven customization options to build and scale a subscription service that fits your business. Tailor your setup, checkout flow, and customer portal for a one-of-a-kind subscription experience to drive dependable recurring revenue.
We want to help you get the most from Bold Subscriptions. Here are some great features that come built in:
Offer a Standard Subscription
Set up your subscriptions exactly how you want for your subscribers. API's and webhooks can be used to design a branded experience for your customers that spreads across your product pages, checkout, and customer portal.
Create, customize and build your own unique subscription offerings. This includes monthly clubs, memberships, rentals and more.
Total Customer Control
Allow your customers to completely manage their own orders by editing, skipping, or cancelling their subscription. This feature additionally allows your customers to change their payment methods, and update their delivery dates for their orders. This is all completed through the Manage Subscription Page.
Your store will have the ability to create automatic and personalized emails to be sent to your customers when any changes occur to their subscriptions. This is created with our in-app email editor.
Use real-time analytics and reporting to track performance and inform optimization.