Recently, Bold released a new version of the Subscriptions app. The versions are vastly different, and will be covered within this article.
At this time, migrations from any existing subscriptions platform is unavailable (including Bold Subscriptions V1). To be alerted when the migration process becomes available, please sign up here.
Please be sure to research the full differences between these two versions before considering switching between the versions.
If you installed the Bold Subscriptions app before November 2nd, 2020, it is likely that you are still on our grandfathered Version 1 of the app. Any installations beyond this date will automatically provide you with the newest version of Bold Subscriptions.
Pricing: Bold Subscriptions V1 has two built-in price plans for different types of offers being created.
Essentials - $39.99/Month + 1% Transaction Fee
Advanced - $199/Month + 1% Transaction Fee
These two plans allow you to offer different types of Subscriptions on your store. The Advanced plan also provides priority support, Full API's and webhooks, and Build-A-Box functionality.
Pricing: Bold Subscriptions V2 has one price plan for all the included features:
Essentials - $49.99/Month + 1% transaction Fee
This plan has everything that your store will need to create Subscriptions built right in.
For more information on the price plan and what it includes, please visit our Bold Subscriptions Version 2 Overview.
Setup & Features: Version 1 of Bold Subscriptions allows you to manage your customer information directly within the app. This includes pausing, cancelling, and adjusting order information.
Payment Gateways: Has a list of third party payment gateways that can be connected through Bold Subscriptions, such as Stripe and Braintree.
Setup & Features: Version 2 of Bold Subscriptions allows you to manage your customer information through Shopify. This includes pausing, cancelling, and adjusting order information.
Payment Gateways: Version 2 of Bold Subscription relies on the Shopify checkout. This means that the payment gateway that is required to process subscription payments on your store is Shopify Payments.
Subscription Types: Use the Bold Subscriptions app to create different offers on your store. This is done by navigating through a list of settings to determine the order frequency, discount, and products that will be offered within each subscription group.
Subscription Types: Build a standard subscription, with the additional ability to create custom recurrence rules (RRULES) coming soon. This is generally used for calendars.
If your store currently has Bold Subscriptions V1 installed, you will not be forced to migrate to the new version. The benefits to upgrading to V2 are:
- You won't have to manage two different checkouts
- You'll be able to take advantage of Shopify Payments' potentially lower transaction fees for new subscriptions, as well as other benefits
- You'll be able to use other apps that rely on the Shopify checkout
To read more information about our migration process or review the FAQ, please visit our Migrating to Bold Subscriptions V2 article.
To request your existing subscription customers be migrated to Bold Subscriptions V2, please follow these steps:
- Request your store be migrated by submitting store details via this list.
- Once this form has been submitted to Bold, we will reach out to ensure that you meet the requirements to be migrated to Subscriptions V2.
- We will contact you as soon as your store is ready for the migration process to begin.
The list of FAQs will be updated as more information becomes available, and more questions are received about Bold Subscriptions V2. Be sure to keep posted with changes to the FAQs below, as we continue to assist with launching the app changes.
I currently have Bold Subscriptions Version 1 installed. Should I migrate to Version 2 right away?
If you are currently on Bold Subscriptions V1, it is recommended to keep this version of the app installed on your store.
Once Bold Subscriptions V1 is removed from your store, you will be unable to access this version again. So it is important that you understand the features, changes, and impact that this change will create.
Migrations are currently unable to be processed to the new version. To sign up for our alerts for when this process becomes available, please click here.
Will I lose any active subscribers now that the new version of Bold Subscriptions is available?
No, all active subscribers you currently have on Bold Subscriptions V1 will remain untouched.
If you are interested in switching to the new version of Bold Subscriptions, it would be best to keep the current version of your app and review all our documentation on the new version as well.
When are new features being released within Bold Subscriptions V2?
Bold is constantly working on adding new features to our Subscription app, and will be focusing on launching new material in the upcoming months.
Please feel free to reach out via chat if you have any feature recommendations that you would like to see within the app. The feedback received from our merchant partners is greatly appreciated.
How does Bold Subscriptions V2 Compare to other subscription apps on Shopify?
- Set up your subscriptions exactly how you would like for your subscribers. API's and webhooks can be used to design a branded experience for your customers that spreads across your product pages, checkout, and customer portal.
- Allow your customers to have total control of their orders by being able to edit, skip, or cancel their subscriptions.
- Your store will have the ability to create automatic and personalized emails to be sent to your customers when any changes occur to their subscriptions. This is all managed with our in-app email editor.
- Use real-time analytics and reporting to track performance and inform optimization.
Why should I install Bold Subscriptions V2 on Shopify?
Bold will allow you to boost your stores' subscription program! If your store uses Shopify payments, you will be completely able to process subscription orders directly through your built-in store checkout.
We also offer top-rated support with access to live chat, 24/7 support options, as well as our help center.
To make sure that your store is eligible to run the Bold Subscriptions V2 app:
Your store must use Shopify Payments. This is because Shopify creates a "subscription contract", which allows us to reuse the payment method that the customer used. This is currently only compatible with Shopify Payments.
- A Storefront API cannot be currently used to build your storefront.
- To be eligible for Bold Subscriptions V2, your checkout.liquid formatting must be in the default state. If your checkout is customized, and you wish to use Bold Subscriptions, you will need to revert your checkout.liquid file back to default. Reverting will remove any checkout customizations you have. (Shopify can help with this change.)
- Must not have an existing subscription service. An existing subscription service may cause front end compatibility issues. We also do not yet have the ability to migrate subscribers into Bold Subscriptions v2.
Within the Bold Subscription app, the version information will appear on the top left corner. This will be displayed above the Dashboard section of the sidebar menu.
To determine the version your store is currently on for Bold Subscriptions, please follow these steps:
- From the Shopify admin, select Apps.
- Select Bold Subscriptions.
- On the top left corner, view the header of the menu.
- See the Version information, here:
You may be wondering how Subscriptions V2 is different than your current setup, so we highlighted a few benefits of using Bold Subscriptions V1 + a grandfathered plan of Bold Cashier:
- Access to multiple payment gateways including Paypal, Apple Pay, and Google Pay.
- Customizable checkout with Cashier scripts.
- Branded URL for your checkout flow.
- One-page or multi-page checkout options.
- Abandoned Cart functionality.
- Stronger analytics and insights with Google Tag Manager.