In order for Bold Subscriptions to process subscription transactions on your store, you will need to have a Shopify supported payment gateway connected and activated in your Shopify store. This is because Shopify creates a subscription contract, which allows your customer's payment method to be reused. At this time, subscription orders can only be purchased via credit card.
This article will outline the eligibility requirements and supported payment gateways at this time. Other payment methods may become available in the future.
Please note that this article only relates to Version 2 of Bold Subscriptions. If you have Version 1 installed to your store, please visit Connect a Payment Gateway to Bold Subscriptions V1.
If you are unsure which version of Bold Subscriptions that you have currently installed, please visit Identify Your Version of Bold Subscriptions.
To ensure that your store is eligible to use Bold Subscriptions V2, please review the information below.
Your store must use Shopify Payments, Authorize.net or PayPal Express.
- Shop Pay and Google Pay are compatible accelerated checkouts.
- Shop Pay is an accelerated checkout that allows customers to check out faster by populating the checkout with previously stored information. Shop pay is exclusively available through the Shopify checkout and now supports Subscriptions purchases. For more information, please visit Activate Shop Pay.
- The eligibility requirements for Shopify Payments is controlled by Shopify directly. If your store is receiving a message about it being ineligible - please contact Shopify for more information.
- You must not have an existing subscription service. An existing subscription service may cause frontend compatibility issues.
- Accelerated checkouts such as Amazon Pay, Apple Pay, Klarna, mollie iDEAL, and Sofort are not supported for subscription purchases.
Note: These options can be used for one time orders but will not appear in the checkout for customers purchasing an order with a subscription.