Migrations to Bold Subscriptions V2 are now possible. Whether you are coming from another platform or from Bold Subscriptions V1, we can seamlessly migrate your active subscriptions.
It's important to note that Bold Subscriptions V2 is a new subscriptions app that offers a unified checkout with Shopify Checkout and Shopify Payments. Not all features are available in both V1 & V2, although updates are happening on a regular basis. Please visit Bold Subscriptions V1 & V2 Differences to learn more.
Sections in this article:
- Benefits of Migrating to Subscriptions V2
- Requirements Before Migrating
- Migrating From Bold Subscriptions V1
- Migrating From ReCharge, Retextion, Ordergroove, or Other Platforms
Benefits of Migrating to Subscriptions V2
Bold Subscriptions V2 is actively being developed and updated all the time. Some features that are not yet available via Shopify or Bold, may become available in the near future. For example, we are currently working on adding prepaid subscriptions. Please continue to check back often for updates.
Some other benefits are:
- Only one checkout to manage.
- You'll be able to take advantage of Shopify Payments’ potentially lower transaction fees for new subscriptions, as well other benefits.
- Ability to use PayPal Express or Authorize.net.
- Ability to use other apps that rely on the Shopify Checkout.
- Access to powerful, API-driven customization options to build and scale a subscription service that fits your business. Tailor your setup and customer portal for a one-of-a-kind subscription experience to drive dependable recurring revenue.
Requirements Before Migrating
Depending on the features and settings you are currently using on your current platform or application, it is important to note certain things that cannot be imported over in the migration process.
These are as follows:
- Discount codes cannot be migrated over.
- Subscription group discounts cannot be migrated over. The price set in the import will be the price for future subscriptions. However, if a customer swaps a product, the current subscription group discount of the swapped product will be applied.
- Shipping rates are unable to be migrated over. The rates that are currently set up in your Shopify shipping settings will become the rate applied to your subscriptions.
- By default, any orders which have been skipped on the previous platform won't be recognized.
Note: If order #1 is skipped and set to reoccur on July 27, 2022 this order will be migrated with the next order date adjusted in Subscriptions V2 accordingly. If there is another order that is skipped on the 3rd recurrence within the same subscription, that order will not be recognized when that subscription order is migrated.
- Line item properties will not be imported into migrated subscriptions.
Note: Line items will not function as expected on migrated subscription orders. As a workaround, you may want to consider importing subscription order notes as a way to store important information about your customer’s subscriptions.
- Historical information, including inactive records from your previous app will not be migrated.
- Existing order tags will not be migrated into new subscription orders.
- Only standard, active (including paused) subscriptions are imported. Prepaid and build-a-box type subscriptions cannot be migrated.
- Bold Product Options is not compatible with Subscriptions V2.
Before you submit your migration request, please follow the steps below.
- Determine if you are eligible. For more information, please visit Payment Options & Eligibility in Bold Subscriptions V2.
Note: Currently, we are only able to migrate merchants who wish to use Shopify Payments, Stripe or Authorize.net as their payment gateway.
- Install Bold Subscriptions V2. For more information, please visit Installation Guide For Bold Subscriptions V2.
Note: If you have an existing subscription service running on your live theme, please install Subscriptions V2 on a backup theme in order to prevent code conflicts.
- Set up Bold Subscriptions V2 and place a test order. For more information, please visit Setup Bold Subscriptions V2.
- Create an Account in Account Center and provide access to our Migration team. For more information, please visit How to Provide Account Center Access for Migrations.
Migrating From Bold Subscriptions V1
At this time, we are only able to process migrations from merchants using Stripe as their payment gateway. If you are migrating from Bold Subscriptions V1 to V2, you must use the same Stripe account that is connected within Bold Subscriptions V1.
Additionally, there are some features that are exclusive to Bold Subscriptions V1. Some examples of subscriptions we cannot migrate over are:
- Build a Box subscriptions
- Convertible Subscriptions
- Prepaid & Gift Subscriptions
As well, you may want to consider other features that are exclusive to Subscriptions V1, such as:
- Buy Buttons
- Dynamic Discounts
For a full list of version differences, please visit Bold Subscriptions V1 & V2 Differences.
Ready to Migrate?
After the Requirements Before Migrating are met from above, simply submit your ticket to this form and our Migrations team will reach out to you in 1-2 business days. Our team will export the information needed from Bold Subscriptions V1 and import it into Bold Subscriptions V2.
Migrating From ReCharge, Retextion, Ordergroove, Skio, or Other Platforms
To begin the migration process simply follow the steps below.
- Check that you meet the Requirements Before Migrating above.
- Create a ticket for the Migrations team here.
Our Migrations team will reach out to you within 1-2 business days to request that you fill out the Import Template for Bold Subscriptions V2.
To view the answer of one of our frequently asked questions, please select a question below.
There is no cost to migrate to Bold Subscriptions V2 on Shopify. We are happy to provide the service and migration support free of charge.
We will continue supporting V1 for the foreseeable future, and will not require merchants to migrate to V2. For others who want to migrate to V2, our goal is to help with that.
If you are currently on Bold Subscriptions V1, and do not wish to migrate, it is recommended to keep the app installed on your store.
Once Bold Subscriptions V1 is removed from your store, you will be unable to access this version again. So it is important that you understand the features and impact that this change will create.
No, all active subscribers you currently have on Bold Subscriptions V1 will remain untouched.
If you are interested in switching to the new version of Bold Subscriptions, it is best to keep the current version of your app and review all our documentation on the new version as well.
Bold is constantly working on adding new features to our Subscription app, and will be focusing on launching new material in the upcoming months. Please continue to check our Subscriptions V2 Overview article for updates.
You can also reach out via chat if you have any feature recommendations. All feedback received is greatly appreciated.
Bold Subscriptions V2 is a robust subscriptions platform that offers a wide variety of features to enhance your customer’s subscription experience. When comparing Bold Subscriptions V2 to other subscription apps on Shopify, Bold Subscriptions V2 can offer you:
- The ability to set up your subscriptions exactly how you would like for your subscribers. API's and webhooks can be used to design a branded experience for your customers that spreads across your product pages, checkout, and customer portal.
- Allow your customers to have total control of their orders by being able to edit, skip, or cancel their subscriptions.
- The ability to create automatic and personalized emails to be sent to your customers when any changes occur to their subscriptions. This is all managed with our in-app email editor.
- Use real-time analytics and reporting to track performance and inform optimization.
To see an outline of the differences between Bold Subscriptions V1 & V2, please visit Bold Subscriptions V1 & V2 Differences.