Bold Subscriptions V2 on Shopify uses the unified Shopify Checkout.
Bold Subscriptions V2 was designed with developers in mind for greater flexibility and customization with the use of our APIs. Out of the box, there are specific differences in the features available between Subscriptions V1 and Subscriptions V2, which must use the Shopify checkout.
Subscriptions V2 is not an upgrade from Subscriptions V1. It is a completely different app. This article will outline these feature differences in detail.
Working with APIs requires advanced knowledge. It is recommended to have your own developer if you intend to leverage the APIs in Bold Subscriptions V2.
Sections in this article:
- Subscription Functionality
- Subscription Management
- Other Features
- Migrating to Bold Subscriptions V2
Bold Subscriptions V2 works in Multiple Cart mode only at this time. This means that your subscribers will be able to checkout with one-time purchase products and subscription products at the same time.
The following cart modes are not available in Subscriptions V2 at this time:
- Single Cart: This takes customers directly to the checkout, leaving any one-time purchase products behind. Customers must return to complete one-time purchases.
- Recurring Cart: This places a subscription widget within the cart so customers can subscribe to all products on your store.
Only Standard type subscriptions are currently available out of the box in Subscriptions V2. Some subscription types may be possible through the use of APIs or are on the roadmap for the future. These are as follows:
- Prepaid & Gift Subscriptions: Prepaid and Gift Subscriptions are not available in Subscriptions V2 at this time. You can integrate with Govalo Gift Cards to offer gift subscriptions for your customers.
- Convertible Subscriptions: Convertible Subscriptions which allow you to offer a different initial product from the recurring products, are not available out of the box in Subscriptions V2. However, this can be achieved with the use of our APIs.
- Build-a-box: This subscription type which allows customers to choose items within a subscription box, is not available at this time but is on the roadmap for development.
Set Length Subscriptions
The ability to set minimum or maximum lengths for subscriptions are not currently available out of the box in Subscriptions V2. Maximum lengths can be accomplished by leveraging our APIs.
- Dynamic Discounts: Dynamic discounts allow you to offer a different discount between the initial and the recurring orders. These are not available out of the box in Subscriptions V2 at this time; however, they can be achieved through the use of APIs.
- Discount Codes: Because Subscriptions V2 works with the Shopify checkout, discount codes for your subscriptions must be created within Shopify. You are able to view, add, and remove discount codes attached to your subscribers existing orders from within the app admin.
Taxes & Shipping
As Subscriptions V2 uses the Shopify checkout, all taxes and shipping rates are set up and handled within and completely based on the available settings in Shopify.
As Subscriptions V2 uses the Shopify checkout, all available payment gateways are determined by Shopify. These are Shopify Payments, PayPal Express, and Authorize.net. Stripe is available for some merchants. For more information, please visit Shopify’s Help Center article.
If you are currently using Stripe, this gateway is applicable if you intend to transition to Subscriptions V2 on Shopify Payments in the future.
Order tagging is not available in Subscriptions V2 at this time; however, this is on the roadmap for development.
Customer tagging is now available in Bold Subscriptions V2. Customers will be tagged as active_subscriber or inactive_subscriber depending on their status. The customer tags used in Subscriptions V2 mirror the tags used in Subscriptions V1, so there is no need to modify any backend systems using these tags.
The Order_Count attribute which is assigned to each subscriber’s order in Subscriptions V1, is not available in Subscriptions V2.
Recurring Order Property
The Recurring Order property which is assigned to subscription orders to indicate frequency is not available in Subscriptions V2.
Add a Product to an Existing Subscription
This feature is available on both versions, however, it is only possible from within the admin in Subscriptions V2. Your customers will need to contact you to request a product be added to their existing subscription.
If the added product is in an existing subscription group, the discount set in that group will be applied to that product as well. If the added product is not in a subscription group, a discount will not be applied.
Manage Deleted Products
The Manage Deleted Products tool is only available in Subscriptions V1. Products can be deleted individually within the Subscriptions V2 admin.
The ability to bulk update your subscription prices is not available in Subscriptions V2 at this time.
Subscriptions V2 is not inventory aware. Inventory forecasting or notifications for insufficient products is not available at this time. Orders will process regardless of inventory.
Failed Transaction Log
The failed transaction log available in Subscriptions V1 is not yet available in Subscriptions V2. This will be included in the available reports soon. All reports in Subscriptions V2 can be downloaded in CSV format.
Merchant Email Notifications
While both Subscriptions V1 and V2 have customer facing email notifications, merchant facing email notifications are not available from within the app in Subscriptions V2.
You can subscribe to Bold Webhooks or integrate with a third party provider such as Zapier to be notified of certain actions.
As Subscriptions V2 is a different app altogether from V1, the integrations available will be different as well. To stay up to date with all available integrations in Subscriptions V2 please visit our Integration Hub for Bold Subscriptions V2.
Buy Buttons, which are used in Subscriptions V1 to direct your customers to the checkout with a subscription product from locations outside your store, are unavailable in Subscriptions V2 at this time. However, this can be achieved through customization. If you are interested in having this feature customized for your store, please reach out to our partners for a quote.
Terms & Conditions
There is no setting within Bold Subscriptions V2 to apply mandatory terms and conditions before checking out as Bold Subscriptions V2 must use the Shopify checkout. Shopify does allow you to create a subscription policy which can be linked in the checkout, and requires customers to indicate via checkbox that they understand and agree to the subscription purchase.
Bold Subscriptions V2 does not have the ability to adjust the accept marketing checkbox that appears within Shopify’s checkout.
Bold Subscriptions V2 does not have a setting to enable a link to a cancellation policy.
Migrating to Bold Subscriptions V2
If you are interested in migrating to Bold Subscriptions V2, please visit Migrating to Bold Subscriptions V2 to learn more about the process.
Fill out the request form and our Migrations team will reach out to you.