Integrating Govalo Gift Cards with Subscriptions for Shopify Checkout will give you the ability to offer a gift option on your subscriptions. With the gift option, your customers will be able to purchase and send the gift of a subscription to a person of their choice. They will be able to select the number of subscription cycles they would like to gift to their recipient, as well as select the date they wish to send the gift.
The recipient will receive an email notifying them of their gift on the date the giver selected. From there, they can activate the subscription at any time they wish.
Additionally, within Govalo you can:
- Customize the gift product description and image.
- Customize the gift email template language, colours, and header image.
- Customize the gift card product page button and form.
- Add your own CSS to the gift card page.
This integration is available on the Premium plan in Govalo. Enter the code BeBold to activate an extended three month trial available exclusively to Bold Subscriptions users.
This article will walk you through the integration setup, customizations, and provide an overview of your customer's perspective when gifting or receiving a subscription.
Before enabling the integration between Bold Subscriptions and Govalo, you will need to create an account in Bold Account Center. For step-by-step instructions, please visit Create & Connect a Bold Account.
Step 1: Connect the Integration
- Log in, or create an account in Bold Account Center.
- Navigate back to your Shopify admin and install Govalo Gift Cards.
- Select the Premium plan and enter the code BeBold in order to receive a three month free trial.
- Configure the Govalo Gift Card setup and enable the theme integration. For step-by-step instructions, please visit Setting up Govalo.
- Select Integrations.
- Select Connect Bold.
- On the install page, select Approve.
Step 2: Create the Gift Subscription Product
- Select Add subscription product to begin creating your first gift subscription.
Note: If a message appears which says No bold subscription products, this means you do not have any subscriptions setup in Bold Subscriptions yet. This will need to be done first. For more information, please visit Create a Standard Subscription Group.
- Select the subscription product that you would like to add a gift option to.
Note: Once selected, a duplicate of the original product will be automatically created in your store to represent the gift product.
- Type in any number of gift cycles that you would like offer as an option for your customers to select from, and select Add for each cycle added.
Note: By default, 1, 3, and 6 gift cycles will be preselected. You can remove any of these by selecting the X, and add your own.
- Select the Subscription gift image to upload a custom image for your gift subscription product. (Optional)
- Edit the product name. (Optional)
- Select Enable.
Your subscription is now live. You can verify this by navigating to the subscription product page on your storefront. You should see both the original subscription product as well as the duplicate gift subscription product.
For more information and support, please visit Govalo support article Bold - Setting up your gift subscription.
When setting up your gift subscription, you are able to customize your options that appear on the gift product page such as the description and image. Additionally, you can customize the language and colours in the product page form, as well as in the email template.
These options can be found within Govalo by navigating to Integrations > Configure Bold.
Under Configure language, you can customize the language in the form, as well as the language that appears in the add to cart button on the gift product page. For detailed instructions, please visit Govalo's support article Bold - Configuring your language template.
Under Configure email template, you can customize the language, colours, and header image that appear in the email to match your brand. You can also send yourself a test email from this page by selecting Preview and entering your address. For detailed instructions, please visit Govalo's support article Bold - Configuring your email template.
On your subscription product page, your customers can select the Send as a gift button to open the form to fill out their selections for their recipient. From here, your customer can select the number of delivery cycles they wish to prepay for as a gift, enter the recipient's name, email, choose a date to send, and add a personal message.
Once the form has been filled out, the customer can simply add to cart, and then continue shopping or checkout as they normally would. An email notifying the recipient of their gift subscription will arrive on the date the giver has selected.
- The cost of shipping is not covered in the gift amount. Recipients will have to cover the cost of shipping on your subscription product if one exists.
- Subscriptions do not automatically expire when the gift amount has been redeemed. Recipients will be responsible for either continuing with the subscription, or canceling.
On the date that the giver selected when purchasing the gift subscription, the recipient will receive an email notifying them of their gift. The email will let the recipient know the name of the person gifting the subscription, along with how many shipments they have been gifted. They can select the Activate button within the email to begin their subscription at any time.
Upon selecting to activate the subscription from within the email, they will be taken to a page with instructions on how to accept and the gift. From this page, they will be redirected to the subscription product page where they can then select the subscription, choose their frequency, and checkout with their gift code.